Julie Rehmeyer's Articles
- Math TrekIn sports leagues and playoffs, the strongest teams often don't triumph, but redesigning the schedule of games can improve their chances.
- Math TrekA mathematical optimization strategy for pairing patients who need kidneys with willing donors could increase the number and quality of transplants.
- Math TrekDefeating computer worms that mutate will take some smart defense strategies.
- NewsExperiments and a computer simulation show why dirt roads develop a washboard surface, and indicate the only way to prevent it: Drive very slowly.
- Math TrekMathematics, not brain development, explains why toddlers begin to pick up words quickly after a slow start.
- Math TrekA combination of mathematical analysis and supercomputer number-crunching proves that any Rubik's Cube can be solved in 26 moves or fewer.
- Math TrekComputer programs that model climate may be so complex that global warming predictions will never settle on a single, definitive answer.
- Math TrekThe twisted, single-sided loop known as a Möbius band, when made from a stiff material such as paper, takes on a complicated shape that researchers have finally calculated.
- NewsThanks to an immense calculation that worked out every possible game position, computers can now play a flawless game of checkers and force a draw every time.
- Math TrekA longtime activist in the civil rights movement now teaches that mathematical literacy is the key to full participation in the country's economy.