Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- FeatureClimate change has enabled the recent expansion of beavers into northwestern Alaska, a trend that could have major ecological consequences for the region in the coming decades.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe new book ‘18 Miles’ takes readers on a journey through the atmosphere and the history of understanding climate and weather.
- Reviews & Previews"Spying on Whales" retraces the evolution of cetaceans, explaining how they came to be some of Earth’s largest creatures.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn Skeletons, two paleobiologists recount how and why skeletons evolved, as well as the variety of forms they take and the many purposes they serve.
- Reviews & PreviewsDarwin’s Fossils recounts how finding extinct species in South America helped Charles Darwin develop his theory of evolution.
- Reviews & Previews'The Aliens Among Us' describes how invasive species are colonizing — and disrupting — ecosystems worldwide.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn the new book Darwin’s Backyard, a biologist explores Charles Darwin’s family life, as well as four decades’ worth of his at-home experiments.
- SoapboxWindmill-powered pumps on buoys throughout the Arctic Ocean could help bring back shrinking sea ice, researchers say.
- Reviews & PreviewsThree new books chronicle the science, history and cultural significance of total solar eclipses.
- Reviews & PreviewsIn "Cannibalism", a zoologist explores a grisly topic that scientists have only recently begun to study seriously.