Aimee Cunningham's Articles
- NewsBy adding grooves to the surface of a common oil-skimming device, researchers recovered up to three times as much oil as they do with smooth-surfaced devices.
- NewsThe Viking landers may have missed potential signs of life when they explored Mars in 1976.
- Food for ThoughtChildren with iron deficiency and low socioeconomic status can slip even lower in mental ability, compared with their better-nourished peers.
- NewsChemists report the first synthesis of a promising antibiotic that other researchers recently discovered in nature.
- NewsA team of nuclear chemists from the United States and Russia have announced the brief reappearance of element 118.
- NewsThis year's Nobel Prize in Chemistry went to a researcher who determined the structure, in atomic detail, of RNA polymerase taken from yeast cells.
- NewsResearch on how nanotechnology affects human health and the environment must be expanded, a National Research Council report concludes.
- NewsThe 2006 Nobel prizes in the sciences were announced this week, and all five winners are U.S. scientists.
- NewsZebra tarantulas can secrete silk from their feet, a feat that may help them better adhere to surfaces.
- FeatureThe latest generation of microelectrodes is reaching into biological realms to detect the ebbs and flows of chemicals at the surfaces of cells.