Authored Articles' Articles
- Growth CurveSome sleep machines can pump out a dangerous amount of noise, but that doesn’t mean they can’t be used safely.
- IntroducingA newly discovered centipede species lives deep underground.
- Wild ThingsThe novel ‘Watership Down’ is the tale of a bunch of anthropomorphized rabbits. Their language may be unreal, but the animals’ behavior was rooted in science.
- ScicuriousEndurance athletes often experience sinus bradycardia, a slow heartbeat. A new paper shows this effect may be due to changes in the “funny channel” of the sinoatrial node.
- NewsA quick sniff test could reveal whether or not a child has autism, but some scientists have doubts.
- Science VisualizedIn visible light, sunspots look like dark blotches that often expel flares of searing plasma. NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory offers a different view.
- News in BriefScientists have isolated a human immune protein that fights the MERS virus in mice.
- NewsAbrupt warming and excessive hunting by ancient humans were responsible for the disappearance of many large mammals, including woolly mammoths, during Earth’s last glacial period.
- NewsGrandmother’s cells may watch over grandchildren in the womb.
- News in BriefTwo genetic changes allowed plague bacteria to cause deadly lung infections and pandemic disease.