Davide Castelvecchi's Articles
- NewsSEE THE VIDEO: Researchers film a fungus catapulting its spores with an acceleration greater than what astronauts feel.
- NewsA team dissects the physics of a mosquito bite, working to find a way to design gentler needles.
- NewsPhysicists have discovered a new particle made of three quarks, including two strange quarks. Its existence further validates the standard model of particle physics.
- NewsA new paper suggests the possibility that the behavior of electrons in quantum systems could verify Riemann’s famous conjecture about prime numbers.
- NewsBy identifying a new way to wrestle fluorine from carbon compounds, chemists may now be able to break down certain types of greenhouse gases before they reach the atmosphere.
- NewsRemoving carbon dioxide from smokestacks and storing it permanently is one of the possible solutions to global warming, but remains expensive to do. A new technique could make carbon sequestration economical on a large scale, while producing useful materials on the side.
- NewsA history of middle ear infections could give people an affinity for fatty foods and leave them twice as likely to become obese.
- NewsFree radicals similar to those in cigarette smoke may form when car exhaust cools off, and may persist indefinitely in the air.
- NewsGod doesn’t play dice, Einstein said in his critique of quantum theory. But any alternative theory to quantum mechanics would require certain quantum events to influence each other 10,000 times faster than the speed of light, physicists have shown.
- NewsTwo new studies take steps toward practical materials that can bend light backward, which could lead to invisibility cloaks.