Laura Beil is an independent journalist specializing in medicine, health policy and science. In addition to being a contributing correspondent at Science News, her work has appeared in numerous publications, including Reader's Digest, Self, Prevention, Glamour, Newsweek, Men's Health, Ladies Home Journal, Parenting, O and the New York Times. She began freelancing in 2007 after working as medical writer for the Dallas Morning News from 1992 to 2006. From 2006–2007 she was a media fellow with the Kaiser Family Foundation. She lives near Dallas.
Laura Beil's Articles
- NewsSurvey finds that many overweight individuals consider their body size normal and healthy despite having health problems
- NewsDetailed imaging of runners’ hearts before and after races doesn’t find signatures of heart attacks
- NewsCT scans of preserved individuals show hardening of arteries similar to that seen in people today.
- NewsMedical imaging can add up to exposure similar to what nuclear power plant workers experience.
- NewsThe findings led to an early halt of a small study comparing Niaspan and Zetia, two compounds commonly used along with statins to reduce heart attack risk.
- NewsA portable method to quickly lower body temperature passes safety tests