Nsikan Akpan's Articles
- FeatureIn the fields of Oregon, scientists learn flight tricks from swallows.
- FeatureScientists have turned to Mother Nature’s most adept aerial acrobats — birds, bees, bats and other animals — to inspire their designs for self-directed drones.
- FeatureA group of scientists hopes to save a cliff-hugging plant threatened by invasive grasses, drought and fire in California’s Santa Monica Mountains.
- News in BriefLosing gut microbes weakens the protective ability of the flu vaccine in mice.
- News in BriefA new test for drug-resistant bacteria may speed the diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract infections.
- NewsA small magnet-based device provides faster, more-sensitive malaria diagnosis in mice.
- 50 Years AgoThe “high price” of space tourism proposed in the 1960s is nowhere close to the astronomical price tag of trips today.
- News in BriefBat echolocation tracks the billowing vocal sacs of male túngara frogs.
- How BizarreTwo skin mites, relatives of spiders, might populate the faces of all adult humans, according to a DNA survey.
- IntroducingGenetic tests settle a taxonomic debate surrounding Philippine tarsier, one of the world’s smallest primates.