Nsikan Akpan's Articles
- NewsA pest has devastated coconuts in the Philippines, and scientists now realize the perp is not the bug they thought was causing the damage.
- NewsUrine and nasal swabs can detect small amounts of the abnormal prions that cause Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- News in BriefSoccer’s goalies fall victim to a logical fallacy during the sport’s most high-pressure situation, seeing trends where none exists.
- Science StatsAdenoviruses, which cause respiratory illnesses including some colds, plague boot camps.
- NewsMouse sperm hunt for eggs in packs, but grouping doesn’t boost speed. Instead, gangs of the reproductive cells move in straighter lines.
- The –estA genetic survey reveals that African elephants harbor more smell sensors than any other known animal.
- NewsWestern nations experience high levels of colon cancer, and carbo-loading gut microbes might explain why, says a new study in mice.
- NewsDiscovery of genes that distinguish superior stoppers from inferior ones could help reverse recent global downturn in quality.
- NewsThe discovery spotlights limits in detecting the clandestine germ and raises questions about whether HIV can ever truly be cured.
- News in BriefPsoriasis and eczema are often mistaken for each other, leading to mistreatment. Testing just two genes could eliminate this confusion.