Patrick Barry's Articles
- NewsFinding the shape of a protein that enables the flu virus to replicate points to ways to combat the disease.
- NewsZinc-finger proteins can cut, splice or tweak a targeted gene, and a new “open source” method for making customized zinc-finger proteins aimed at specific genes will give scientists easier access to this powerful genetic tool.
- FeatureAdvances in gene therapy could tempt some athletes to enhance their genetic makeup, leading some researchers to work on detection methods just in case.
- NewsLooking for unwavering genes rather than standouts could reveal which genes contribute to disease.
- NewsChemists synthesized a DNA-like molecule using unnatural versions of the “letters” that make up the genetic code.
- NewsBeing female and eating a calorie-restricted diet contribute to long lifespan in animals, and the two traits may share molecular mechanisms.
- NewsCutting a gene in immune cells could offer a new way to treat HIV infections.
- NewsLooking at one gene at a time misses about a third of the genes that contribute to the way a cell functions, scientists say.
- NewsScientists could create wimpy versions of real viruses to develop vaccines for emerging diseases.