Sid Perkins' Articles
- NewsThe Asian mountain range that includes some of the tallest peaks in the world turns out to be about 15 million years younger than geologists previously thought.
- NewsComparisons of data obtained from instruments that orbited Earth more than 25 years apart provide direct evidence that the planet's greenhouse effect increased significantly between 1970 and 1997.
- NewsA fossilized pellet of partially digested bones of juvenile and baby birds provides the first evidence that birds served as food for predators.
- NewsA fossil tooth found along a dinosaur trackway in South Korea is the first evidence that brachiosaurs roamed Asia.
- NewsSatellite observations of ocean temperatures in tropical regions of the western Pacific suggest that when ocean temperatures there warm up, the amount of heat-trapping cirrus clouds decreases, possibly providing a heat-venting effect that could help reduce global warming.
- FeatureIn the wake of one of the worst fire seasons in the past 50 years, scientists are assessing risk as more people move into fire-prone areas and developing ways to better predict the behavior of--and the potential for--wildfires.
- NewsEvidence trapped in 250-million-year-old sediments may help researchers pin the ultimate blame for the massive extinctions that occurred then on the impact of an extraterrestrial object about 9 kilometers across.
- NewsResearchers have developed a composite material that has the ability to repair small cracks within itself, a characteristic that could be used to extend the reliability and service life of electronic and aerospace components.
- NewsThe strength of the winter weather feature called the Siberian high is linked to the amount of early-season snow cover in its namesake region.
- NewsThe inactivity of a single enzyme in peat due to the lack of oxygen may be the only thing preventing massive releases of carbon dioxide from the peatlands.