Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & Previews‘Rust’ recounts humanity’s unending battle against corrosion, which each year costs the United States an estimated $437 billion — more than all natural disasters combined.
- Society NewsTeens from 18 states will soon face off in the finals of the 2015 Intel Science Talent Search, the nation’s most prestigious science research competition for high school seniors.
- Reviews & PreviewsThe 18th century eruption of Iceland’s Laki volcano spewed sulfurous gases that briefly cooled the globe and probably contributed to the early deaths of tens of thousands of people.
- Reviews & PreviewsSuperstorm Sandy deluged New York City and could be a harbinger of future coastal flooding.
- Society NewsHolly Jackson of San Jose, Calif., zigzagged her way through three days of science, engineering and math challenges to win the top prize at the Broadcom MASTERS middle school science competition.
- Reviews & Previews‘How We Got to Now’ and ‘Science Unshackled’ explain how basic scientific research can transform society in unexpected ways.
- Reviews & PreviewsEntomologist Scott Richard Shaw explores the evolution of insects and how they came to rule the world.
- Reviews & PreviewsIchnologist Anthony J. Martin explains his research piecing together dinosaurs’ lives from footprints and other traces.
- Reviews & PreviewsAcoustic engineer Trevor Cox provides an international tour of aural amazements.
- Society NewsAn innovative statistical analysis of cancer-promoting genes earned a 15-year-old the top prize — and $75,000 — at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair 2014.