Sid Perkins is a freelance science writer based in Crossville, Tenn.
Sid Perkins' Articles
- Reviews & PreviewsThe 18th century eruption of Iceland’s Laki volcano spewed sulfurous gases that briefly cooled the globe and probably contributed to the early deaths of tens of thousands of people.
- Reviews & PreviewsSuperstorm Sandy deluged New York City and could be a harbinger of future coastal flooding.
- Society NewsHolly Jackson of San Jose, Calif., zigzagged her way through three days of science, engineering and math challenges to win the top prize at the Broadcom MASTERS middle school science competition.
- Reviews & Previews‘How We Got to Now’ and ‘Science Unshackled’ explain how basic scientific research can transform society in unexpected ways.
- Reviews & PreviewsEntomologist Scott Richard Shaw explores the evolution of insects and how they came to rule the world.
- Reviews & PreviewsIchnologist Anthony J. Martin explains his research piecing together dinosaurs’ lives from footprints and other traces.
- Reviews & PreviewsAcoustic engineer Trevor Cox provides an international tour of aural amazements.
- Society NewsAn innovative statistical analysis of cancer-promoting genes earned a 15-year-old the top prize — and $75,000 — at the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair 2014.
- Reviews & PreviewsAnatomical displays sit alongside art depicting medical history at the International Museum of Surgical Science.
- Science VisualizedA river’s erosion downward and across a landscape is based on a variety of factors, including terrain steepness and the arrangement of tributaries.