Thomas Sumner's Articles
- NewsNew measurements suggest soils below 15 centimeters deep could play a sizable role in boosting carbon emissions as the planet warms.
- NewsEarth’s mantle is warmer than previously thought, suggests a new experiment that better accounts for water content in rocks.
- Science TickerA lack of cracks on Mimas suggests that the icy moon of Saturn doesn’t conceal a subsurface ocean of liquid water.
- NewsGeologists make the case for a new continent, dubbed Zealandia, found largely submerged beneath the southwestern Pacific Ocean.
- Science TickerThe Antarctic sea ice extent has reached a new low just two years after hitting a record high.
- NewsLow-oxygen conditions can fundamentally disrupt seafloor ecosystems and increase carbon burial, new research shows.
- Science TickerTwo magma plumes fueled the Deccan volcanic eruptions around the time of the dinosaur extinction 66 million years ago.
- NewsThe Great Oxidation Event that enabled the eventual evolution of complex life began 100 million years earlier than once thought, new dating of South African rock suggests.
- NewsThe magma fueling a Martian volcanic system remained largely unchanged for billions of years, analysis of a newfound meteorite suggests.
- News in BriefZircon crystals from a long-gone continent called Mauritia may have resurfaced during volcanic eruptions on the island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean.