Ivars Peterson's Articles
- Math TrekAn eclipse prediction in a book of astronomical tables helped Columbus out of a jam.
- Math TrekListen in on some math radio and browse for science songs.
- Math TrekA well-known puzzle about bridges led to a pioneering paper in topology.
- Math TrekHunting for bear leads to uncountable infinities.
- Math TrekIn pro football, a good defense doesn't generally trump a good offense.
- Math TrekFlipping pancakes to stack them according to size can be a tricky business.
- Math TrekPioneering studies of social networks and the Web's structure lead to a prestigious prize.
- Math TrekAn ingenious search strategy leads to a death-defying feat.
- Math TrekComputing average class size can give different answers that depend on your point of view.
- Math TrekCryptography and other mathematical topics play key roles in several recent novels.