Patrick Barry's Articles
- NewsA gene in mice that benefits the father at the mother's expense appears to help offspring of both sexes.
- NewsThe oldest rocks in the world show that Earth's shifting crust began its tectonic movements almost 4 billion years ago.
- NewsA surprising finding links memory formation to a process of shutting down genes in growing embryos.
- NewsSome animals live longer on reduced-calorie diets, and in a recent experiment people on such diets had many of the cellular changes that those long-lived animals did.
- NewsScientists tracked the origin of an illegal ivory shipment to Zambia by using an improved DNA-analysis technique to study the confiscated tusks.
- NewsA "carpet" of microscopic filaments sprayed onto a surface can prevent it from reflecting light, a potentially useful trait for technologies from solar cells to fiber-optic communications.
- NewsA new artificial knee ligament that sparks regeneration of natural tissue could eventually make recovering from knee-repair surgery less painful and debilitating.
- NewsA new, faster way to identify cancer-causing mutations in the DNA of tumor cells may pave the way for the next generation of custom-tailored cancer therapies.
- NewsEvidence from ancient dunes points to three periods of prolonged drought in the U.S. Great Plains, but finding their causes may be more complex than previously supposed.
- NewsRipples in space-time may soon give scientists a glimpse of the universe as it looked a tiny fraction of a second after its birth.