In the weeks following their poisoning by carbon monoxide gas, some survivors develop concentration problems, personality changes, or sensory impairments. The causes of these neurological symptoms and their delayed onset have perplexed scientists.
Now, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia have identified a potential explanation: a misguided immune response to a brain protein that's altered by exposure to the invisible, odorless gas. In the immediate aftermath of a poisoning, the right drug might blunt the immune response and prevent delayed symptoms, suggest Stephen R. Thom and his colleagues in an upcoming Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
When the scientists exposed rats to the gas, an abundant brain protein called myelin basic protein underwent chemical changes. Unlike healthy rats, the poisoned ones later couldn't learn to navigate a maze.
Note: To comment, Science News subscribing members must now establish a separate login relationship with Disqus. Click the Disqus icon below, enter your e-mail and click “forgot password” to reset your password. You may also log into Disqus using Facebook, Twitter or Google.