Ben Harder's Articles
- FeatureAs scientists work to unravel the secrets of mammalian hibernation, they're eyeing medical applications that could aid wounded soldiers, stroke victims, and transplant recipients, among others.
- NewsA medication widely used for heart failure may be most effective in people who have a common variant of a particular gene.
- NewsHamsters and other pet rodents are probably underappreciated spreaders of salmonella bacteria.
- NewsCertain areas of North America are particularly susceptible to environmental accumulation of mercury.
- FeatureAccumulating evidence suggests that urban sprawl discourages physical activity and may thereby contribute to obesity and related health problems.
- NewsThe nutrient folic acid is generally good for brain health, but research now suggests that too much of it might harm people who get too little vitamin B12.
- NewsA new backpack design that uses elastic cords to minimize the pack's vertical motion could lessen bodily strain on wearers and reduce the effort required to carry a load.
- NewsVaccination can prevent three of every four flu infections, even when the vaccines are imperfectly tailored to block the common wintertime pathogens.
- NewsForest fires mobilize mercury from the soil and can send the toxic metal into nearby streams and lakes where it accumulates in fish.
- NewsResearchers are investigating the link between lead-contaminated water and chloramine, a chemical disinfectant that is increasingly used in municipal water supplies.