Julie Rehmeyer's Articles
- Math TrekYoung children who show sophisticated story-telling skills go on to demonstrate greater mathematical ability.
- Math TrekA supercomputer model fed by real-time data is beginning to make sense of the seemingly unpredictable movement of wildfires.
- Math TrekA researcher uses game theory to predict the outcome of political and business challenges, including the current dispute with Iran over nuclear technology.
- Math TrekA theoretical study of the way skin, apple peel, and bedsheets wrinkle has won this year's Ig Nobel Prize in Physics.
- Math TrekA piece of string tumbled over and over quickly develops knots, explaining why your headphone cords are always in a tangle.
- Math TrekA long-lost work by Archimedes shows his subtle grasp of the notion of infinity, and how close he was to developing calculus.
- Math TrekAcross some arid landscapes, sparse vegetation grows in fractal patterns that hold clues to its resilience.
- Math TrekEruptions of open conflict between ethnic or religious groups have a lot to do with the way communities are geographically distributed.
- Math TrekEconomic forces alone can explain why social segregation leads to inequalities in wealth and achievement.
- Math TrekIn sports leagues and playoffs, the strongest teams often don't triumph, but redesigning the schedule of games can improve their chances.