Kate Baggaley was the fall 2014/spring 2015 intern at Science News.
Kate Baggaley's Articles
- News in BriefNew fossils reveal how arthropods evolved branching limbs.
- NewsThe electric charge across cell membranes directs many aspects of brain development, and changing it can fix certain brain birth defects.
- News in BriefTwo newly discovered star clusters are the first ever seen at the remote edges of the Milky Way.
- Science TickerMore than half of Earth’s land surface has seen major changes in factors such as leaf-on date and how much vegetation grows in a season.
- NewsA rainforest plant avoids inbreeding by accepting pollen only from hummingbird species that must travel to reach it.
- News in BriefWhen beetles munch plants bearing their RNA, genes the bugs need to survive are turned off.
- NewsAdditives called emulsifiers that are used in ice cream and other foods weaken the intestines’ defenses against bacteria, causing inflammation in mice.
- NewsOutbreaks of Black Death in medieval Europe may have been triggered by faraway weather patterns and hungry gerbils.
- News in BriefMarine animals today are much larger on average than they were in the Cambrian Period.
- News in BriefPot munchies demystified: Marijuana hijacks fullness nerve cells, making them send hunger signals instead.