Peter Weiss' Articles
- NewsAn exotic quantum state that had previously appeared only under conditions of astonishing cold has made its room-temperature debut.
- NewsResearchers have found a way to provide the complete color palette for television and computer screens.
- NewsAlthough not made exclusively of silicon, a new type of laser runs on electricity and could be mass manufactured in the same factories as silicon microchips are.
- NewsResearchers have created a microchip laser that fires an extraordinarily thin beam of high-intensity light.
- NewsIn a new type of cyber attack, assailants using computers connected to the Internet can secretly induce distant cell phones to rapidly deplete their batteries.
- NewsDentists may someday disinfect teeth with a newly demonstrated, handheld stylus that exudes glowing plasma deadly to cavity-causing bacteria.
- NewsCrawling bacteria can power a micromotor.
- NewsA lacy honeycomb arrangement of molecules on copper suggests the possibility of creating useful nanoscale patterns on surfaces by fine-tuning intermolecular forces.
- NewsA new way to build microscale pipes in three dimensions boosts the sophistication of chips that manipulate fluids to perform chemical reactions and other tasks.
- FeatureStruck by an analogy between genetic mutations and flaws in antique printed documents, a biologist has devised a method to analyze such flaws to pinpoint publication dates of rare, undated documents.