Kendall Morgan's Articles
- FeatureA new origin-of-life theory holds that life began within the confines of iron sulfide rocks surrounding hydrothermal vents at the ocean bottom.
- NewsAs rock climbing soars in popularity, some cliff-side snail populations may be crashing.
- NewsThe primary chemical in some plastics causes female mice to produce eggs with abnormal numbers of chromosomes.
- NewsTrace amounts of the chemical concoctions used to battle bacteria in kitchens and bathrooms may kill off algae, an effect that researchers say may have far-reaching consequences.
- NewsThe brain cells that keep people awake fire spontaneously and continuously on their own, suggesting that sleep depends on signals from other brain regions that quiet these neurons.
- FeatureNicotine ramps up activity throughout the body, making the drug a suspect in many tobacco-related ailments.
- NewsNorthern pine forests may exude nitrogen oxides—a contributor to smog and acid rain—in quantities that rival those produced by industry and traffic worldwide.
- NewsNew evidence links a placental protein to preeclampsia symptoms and may lead to new ways of detecting and treating the disease.
- NewsOxygen deprivation—an escalating problem in freshwater ecosystems worldwide—tampers with sex hormones in carp and might underlie the decline in some fish and amphibian species.
- NewsA single 2-hour exposure to the microwaves emitted by some cell phones kills brain cells in rats.