Amy McDermott's Articles
- FeatureLichens, fascinating mosaics of fungi and algae or cyanobacteria, are made for sensing environmental change.
- FeatureReefs are under threat from rising ocean temperatures. Directed spawning, microfragmenting and selective breeding may help.
- NewsUnlike strength training, endurance workouts left no genetic trace months later, calling into question idea of a general muscle memory.
- News in BriefFluffing feathers in sand and dust prevents severe mite infections in cage-free hens.
- IntroducingOne fish, two fish: California’s tidewater goby is two species.
- NewsVaginal bacteria may cause stillbirth by deploying tiny weapons
- Science TickerSome snowy owls leave the Arctic for winter. That’s not a desperate move, new study says.
- NewsThe discovery that birds and turtles share a gene tied to both color vision and red coloration is more evidence that dinosaurs probably saw the color red — and perhaps were even red, too.
- Science TickerFor the tropical disease snail fever, managing host populations is more effective than drugs.
- NewsPrimates and microbes have been splitting in sync for at least 10 million years.