Edna Francisco's Articles
- NewsAn antitick vaccine using a protein that causes female ticks to engorge on blood may control tick populations, a new study suggests.
- Food for ThoughtNew evidence confirms that eating lots of trans fats can lead to heart problems.
- FeatureAlthough destroying dams is often presumed to restore rivers, the results of such action are actually mixed, according to recent studies.
- Food for ThoughtA potentially dangerous virus is moving from nonhuman primates to Africans who hunt and eat wild animals, a new study suggests.
- Food for ThoughtCanned light tuna is a good choice for people who want to lower their intake of mercury.
- Food for ThoughtA commonly used but potentially carcinogenic flavoring compound stays in people's bodies only briefly.
- Food for ThoughtA bacterium that has been known to cause rare, yet fatal infections in infants appears to be more widespread than scientists have realized.
- NewsA new brain-imaging study in marmosets suggests that males sexually aroused by the scent of females may be thinking carefully before they mate, opposing the notion that nonhuman male mammals act purely upon a primal urge.
- NewsBlood concentrations of two proteins that affect blood vessel growth appear to foretell the pregnancy condition known as preeclampsia.
- NewsTwo studies in mice suggest that, if wine protects against heart disease, it's probably not because of the antioxidants that the drink contains.