Carrie Lock's Articles
- FeaturePots, vats, and other artifacts unearthed on three continents are giving archaeologists new clues about ancient cultures' beer-brewing practices.
- FeatureBy mimicking the flippers of penguins, whales, and dolphins, engineers hope to make ocean vessels that are as maneuverable and efficient as the marine animals.
- NewsScientists studying gastrointestinal cancer in mice have found powerful evidence of a molecular connection between inflammation and cancer.
- NewsBy taking calcium supplements during pregnancy, a mother can significantly reduce the lead exposure of her fetus.
- NewsA single defective gene causes muscular dystrophy, and researchers have now found a way to deliver a working copy of that gene to the entire muscular system in mice.
- NewsBits of foreign DNA from the parasite that causes Chagas' disease becomes integrated into the DNA of infected hosts, marking the first time that parasitic DNA has ever been found in the human genome.
- FeaturePsychologists are trying to see whether the statistically significant deception signals found in laboratory experiments exist in high stakes, realistic lies, and whether real lie detectors, such as police officers and judges, are able to detect them.
- NewsUsing genetically engineered mice, scientists have identified a new target in the brain for drugs that could prevent epilepsy.
- NewsWeight loss releases toxic chemicals into the bloodstream, which may slow the body's metabolism.
- NewsScientists are beginning to unravel the genetic mechanism that causes nearsightedness.