Beth Geiger's Articles
- Say What?The newly defined Meghalayan Age began at the same time as a global, climate-driven event that led to human upheavals.
- Science StatsA Google Earth-based estimate of dryland forests adds serious leafage to Earth’s total tree count.
- Science VisualizedThe most detailed atlas of the seafloor ever compiled offers colorful imagery and ghostly glimpses of Earth’s glacial past.
- How BizarreGeophysics reveals that deep beneath Mount St. Helens, there’s no source of hot magma, just a wedge of cold serpentinite rock. Where is the missing heat?
- NewsShaken, not stirred: Tungsten isotopes reveal that mantle convection has left some remnants of ancient Earth untouched for 4.5 billion years.
- NewsHorse-sized Timurlengia euotica had a brain and ears like its bigger relative Tyrannosaurus rex, which lived millions of years later.
- NewsExtensive new evidence from South Africa suggests that 3.5 billion years ago, Earth was locked in a cold spell, with isolated blasts of hydrothermal heat that may have helped incubate life.