Sorcha McDonagh's Articles
- FeatureThey're pugnacious and clever, and they have complex social lives—but do capuchin monkeys actually exhibit cultural behaviors?
- NewsBy dating the mineral deposits on top of cave paintings in Borneo, archaeologists have pushed back the date of earliest human habitation on the island by at least 5,000 years.
- NewsAstronomers are closely tracking the ebb and flow of magnetic activity and powerful flares on stars other than the sun.
- NewsA new study finds that pregnant women taking nonprescription painkillers such as ibuprofen and aspirin have a higher risk of miscarriage.
- FeatureIn earthquake-prone areas of the United States and elsewhere in the world, debates go on over whether—and how much—to reinforce buildings.
- NewsA new drug, tested in rats, blocks pain caused when the nervous system goes awry without producing unwanted side effects.
- NewsScientists have a new way of making forgery-proof documents by using laser color printers to embed hologramlike images in a document’s glossy surface.
- NewsA gene known as ACTN3 may influence whether athletes are better suited to sprinting or to endurance running.
- NewsWith a new sky survey, astronomers can tell the story of what happened during the universe’s middle years—about 7 billion years ago.
- NewsSplicing a gene from a blight-resistant wild potato into varieties used for consumption could lead to blight immunity for all spuds.