Kristin Cobb's Articles
- NewsModern chimpanzees may be the offspring of survivors of an HIV-like pandemic that took place 2 million years ago.
- FeatureNew evidence suggests that chronic lack of sleep may be as important as poor nutrition and physical inactivity in the development of chronic illnesses such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease.
- NewsScientists have pinned down the molecular basis of the gecko's astonishing ability to scamper up polished walls and hang from ceilings, paving the way for a new type of synthetic dry adhesive.
- NewsA new method for gaze-operated, hands-free text entry is faster and more accurate than using an on-screen keyboard.
- NewsCooking sweet corn increases its disease-fighting antioxidant activity, despite decreasing its vitamin C content.
- NewsA mathematical model of peer-influenced behavior may help explain some unexpected patterns that have been observed in financial data and bird populations.
- NewsA gene that helps regulate X chromosome activity in mice doesn't work in people.
- NewsThe paradise tree snake flies by flattening its body and slithering through the air.
- FeatureWood-eating shipworms have been forging a costly comeback in some U.S. harbors in recent years, yet researchers say that these mislabeled animals (they're clams, not worms) are a scientific treasure.
- NewsTooth-fracture incidence among dire wolves in the fossil record can indicate how much bone the carnivores crunched and, therefore, something about the ecology of their time.