Index: Conversations with Maya
Join Maya Ajmera, President & CEO of the Society for Science and Publisher of Science News, as she talks with notable and inspirational people from the greater Society for Science network. See all past interviews below.
- Gayle Wilson — Former first lady of California, 1991–1999, and an advocate for STEM education
- Hayley Bay Barna — Partner, First Round Capital
- Lisa Su — CEO of Advanced Micro Devices
- Paul Modrich — James B. Duke Professor of Biochemistry, Duke University Medical Center
- George Yancopoulos — Scientific Founder, President and Chief Scientific Officer of the biotechnology company Regeneron
- Afton Vechery — cofounder and CEO of Modern Fertility, a reproductive health company making personalized fertility information and support more accessible.
- Roderic Pettigrew — founding director of the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, the CEO of Engineering Health and Executive Dean for Engineering Medicine at Texas A&M University, and the recipient of the Vannevar Bush Award from the National Science Foundation.
- Roald Hoffmann — Nobel laureate, the Frank H.T. Rhodes Professor of Humane Letters Emeritus at Cornell University, and an accomplished poet and playwright.
- Monika Schleier-Smith — Associate Professor of Physics at Stanford University, a MacArthur Fellow, and a member of the 2019 SN 10, Science News’ list of 10 scientists to watch.
- Dianne K. Newman — Gordon M. Binder/Amgen Professor of Biology and Geobiology at Caltech, a MacArthur Fellow, Fellow of the American Academy of Microbiology and member of the National Academy of Sciences.
- Wei-Hwa Huang — former Google engineer and world-renowned creator of puzzles and games.
- Ray Kurzweil — renowned inventor and futurist, author of five best-selling books, is Cofounder and Chancellor of Singularity University and is a Director of Engineering at Google.
- Feng Zhang, a Core Institute Member of the Broad Institute, a Professor at MIT, a member of MIT’s McGovern Institute for Brain Research and a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator.
- Lester Mackey — statistical machine learning researcher at Microsoft Research Labs New England.
- Moon Duchin — Associate Professor at the Tufts University Department of Mathematics.
- Thomas Rosenbaum — President of the California Institute of Technology.
- Mary Sue Coleman — President of the Association of American Universities and a former President of the University of Michigan.
- Divya Nag — works for Apple in the Health Special Projects section and is a member of the Society’s National Leadership Council.
- Kristina Johnson — Chancellor of The State University of New York.
- Gideon Yu — co-owner and former President of the San Francisco 49ers, Executive Chairman of Bowers & Wilkins and former CFO at Facebook and YouTube.
- Edward Thorp — mathematics professor, inventor, entrepreneur, founder of the first quant hedge fund, and the best-selling author of Beat the Dealer, the first book to mathematically prove that the house advantage in blackjack could be overcome by card counting.