Christen Brownlee's Articles
- FeatureMethods now under development could make DNA sequencing quicker and less expensive, paving the way for the day when treatments can be tailored to each person's genetic profile.
- NewsDifferences in the behavior and the brain receptors of rats seem to predict which of the rodents will become cocaine addicted.
- NewsCocoa that retains compounds usually removed to soften the product's flavor can significantly improve blood flow to the brain.
- NewsSeveral varieties of fungi that attack hazelnuts produce high quantities of the popular cancer drug paclitaxel.
- NewsBeing either overnourished or undernourished before birth can alter gene activity, leading to obesity during adulthood.
- NewsA new approach has enabled researchers to prevent cleft palate in mice genetically engineered to develop that birth defect.
- NewsJust a couple of small genetic changes in a pandemic flu virus prevented it from passing efficiently between lab animals.
- NewsPresident Bush's proposed science budget for fiscal year 2008 closely reflects last year's recommended budget.
- NewsThe scent of food may decrease the life-extending effects of a low-calorie diet.
- FeatureVaccines currently in development could give people a novel way to kick their addictions and lose weight.