Erica Klarreich's Articles
- FeatureMathematicians have found that it's easier to pack spheres in some dimensions than it is in others.
- FeatureGame theory is helping to explain how cooperation and other self-sacrificing behaviors fit into natural selection.
- FeatureIn April, an eBay auction offered math enthusiasts the rare opportunity of linking their names with one of the most famous mathematicians of the 20th century.
- FeatureBy studying a puzzle that Archimedes pondered 2,200 years ago, mathematicians are obtaining new insights into its intriguing geometric structure.
- NewsThe population of prime numbers includes an infinite collection of arithmetic progressions.
- FeatureComputers are starting to give mathematicians the lab instrument that they have been missing.
- NewsQuantum physics may soon help physicians track whether a cancer has spread.
- NewsCoin tossing is inherently biased, with the coin more likely to land on the same face it started on.
- NewsMathematical equations can predict whether a couple will divorce.
- FeaturePlants in which large numbers of simple units interact with one another appear to compute how to coordinate the actions of their cells effectively.