Felix Sanchez (cover), NASA/ESA/STScI/AURA/Hubble Heritage (above)
- IntroducingCroatia’s deepest cave system is home to a tiny, translucent resident.
- Science StatsA recent estimate of the lifetimes of the habitability zones of Earth and various exoplanets suggests Earth could become unable to support life as soon as 1.75 billion years from now, when the sun brightens before dying out.
- It's AliveIt’s a real animal, the smallest armadillo species in the world. At about 100 grams, it would fit in your hands.
- Say What?This newly christened mineral has an atomic structure that’s similar to diamond and nearly as hard.
- Reviews & Previews
Early in his career, mathematician Edward Frenkel had a secret love. He worked diligently on applied mathematics but would sneak away to indulge in the seductive problems of pure mathematics. Frenkel recounts his maturation from a young boy plagued by anti-Semitism in the USSR to a leader in his field.
- 50 Years Ago
Vaccine that will prevent meningitis is being sought.
When found, it would solve the problem of meningitis outbreaks among military recruits.... After 24 years of successful prevention against meningococcal disease ... specific strains of Neisseria meningitidis have become resistant to the sulfonamides usually used for treatment or prevention....
Although meningococcal bacteria were handled easily until after World War II, resistance to sulfadiazine is showing up and could lead to serious conditions, even epidemics in public schools.
- Reviews & PreviewsA new documentary portrays an extraordinary search for a cure spurred by a teen with the premature aging disease.
- Letters to the EditorReaders respond to "Solving soot," trade-offs of horn size for male Soay sheep and the huge galactic explosion story from 50 years ago.
- Editor's Note
We don’t yet have a Star Trek tricorder or an Iron Man suit. But considering the stories in this issue and other recent news, that’s not for a lack of trying.