Lila Guterman's Articles
- 50 Years AgoIn 1965, early photosynthetic plant fossils were discovered. The date of earliest oxygen-producing life forms has since been pushed much earlier.
- Science TickerA Liberian woman contracted Ebola in March by having sex with a survivor of the viral disease, researchers report.
- ScreentimeCornell ornithology lab’s computer identification of common North American avian species needs your photos.
- Science StatsProblems with preclinical research often stem from study design and experiments’ materials.
- 50 Years AgoIn 1965, scientists realized ethylene was the molecule that ripens fruit.
- 50 Years AgoEarly research asked whether cats dream; researchers still don’t know definitively.
- Science TickerJohn Nash and Louis Nirenberg will receive the 2015 ‘Nobel of mathematics’ for their work on partial differential equations.
- Science Ticker“Fixed” nitrogen has been found in Mars deposits, raising the possibility that ancient life could have used it to build biomolecules.
- 50 Years AgoIn 1965, two scientists spotted molecular signatures of primate divergence. The tool became widespread for studying evolution – and one researcher’s career ended in crime.
- Science StatsAs the climate warms, Madagascar’s little primates will lose habitat, threatening some with extinction.