© JIM WEST/ALAMY
Like an aging actor rediscovered after being typecast for years, the long-standing diabetes drug metformin is poised to reinvent itself. A wealth of studies suggests the drug has cancer-fighting properties, and clinical trials are now under way to prove it.
- FeatureMicroglia, the same immune cells that help sculpt the developing brain, may do damage later in life .
- FeatureThe recent federal government shutdown, which furloughed more than 800,000 government workers and may have cost the nation as much as $24 billion, has sent ripples through the nation’s scientific research enterprise.
- Science VisualizedJust when the sun was looking especially lethargic, a violent eruption left behind a vast chasm of superheated gas on the solar surface.
- NewsUsing Kepler data, astronomers estimate that a sizeable fraction of the galaxy’s sunlike stars have Earth-sized planets that could support liquid water.
- NewsChelyabinsk-sized rocks may come to Earth every 30 years, on average.
- It's AliveCombat between fungal individuals is a bit like war between heaps of spaghetti.
- NewsResearchers have found a way to isolate the behavior of one particle.
- NewsIn mice and humans, genetic variants seem to control the bacterial mix on and in bodies.
- NewsExperiments in mice suggest that effects don’t end when doping does.