Erica Klarreich's Articles
- FeatureComputer simulations of blood flow in the heart allow doctors to test surgical innovations before trying them on patients.
- FeatureNetworks of tiny computerized sensors that adjust their function as needed may soon pervade our environment.
- NewsA New York University mathematician has won one of the highest prizes in mathematics for figuring out the likelihood of unlikely events.
- NewsMathematicians have solved a legendary Indian mathematician's final problem.
- FeatureBy mastering traditional handicrafts such as knitting and crocheting, mathematicians are better able to understand complex surfaces.
- FeatureMathematics is helping explain how animals form flocks, swarms, and schools.
- NewsFields Medals have been awarded to four mathematicians, including Grigori Perelman, who proved a famous conjecture about the shapes of higher-dimensional spheres.
- FeatureOver many years, the popular animated TV series The Simpsons has included numerous references to mathematics on the show.
- FeatureScientists are moving closer to constructing superefficient, noisefree data-transmission codes.
- FeatureA long-sought proof has forged an intriguing link between numbers expressed as sums and as products.