AP (left); BICEP2 Collaboration (right)
- News in BriefA new device detects faint signals by first converting them to laser pulses.
- NewsReducing protein consumption can lengthen life and improve health, studies in mice and people suggest.
- NewsWhile most science funding remains flat lined in President Obama’s 2015 budget, climate change research gets an increase.
- News in BriefA large analysis shows an association between acetaminophen use in pregnancy and slightly higher risks of ADHD, but it does not prove the pain reliever causes the disorder.
- Reviews & PreviewsScott Weems, a neuroscientist, takes readers on a wide-ranging tour that explains what humor is and why readers should care.
- Reviews & PreviewsSimon Head argues that computer business systems leave middle managers and workers with little creative latitude. They acquire fewer skills and their wages stagnate, hurting their job quality and buying power.
- 50 Years AgoFirst proposed in 1802 as a tunnel for horse-drawn carriages, the Channel Tunnel, or Chunnel, was built starting in 1987 and opened in 1994.
- Letters to the EditorReaders respond to a special report on neuroscience and discuss moon dust.
- Editor's NoteOn a snowy St. Patrick’s Day, our offices officially shut down by a late-winter storm, the Science News staff was abuzz over the biggest thing since the Higgs boson. On March 17, scientists announced the first direct evidence of the theory of cosmic inflation: primordial gravitational waves.