About 3 weeks after a 4-year-old boy visited the emergency room for a nagging eye infection–which doctors easily cured–the boy's mother arrived at the same Canadian hospital. She was infected with the same bacterium, though it had done much more than redden her eyes. She showed signs of shock: plummeting blood pressure and a racing heart.
Note: To comment, Science News subscribing members must now establish a separate login relationship with Disqus. Click the Disqus icon below, enter your e-mail and click “forgot password” to reset your password. You may also log into Disqus using Facebook, Twitter or Google.